Catalase Assay Kit
All products have special prices for bulk purchase, please contact us for more details if required.
Cat. No.: CAK-100 (for 100T)
Catalase Assay Kit is a simple and convenient assay kit used to detect the activity of catalase enzyme in cells, tissues, or other samples through a colorimetric reaction. In the presence of relatively abundant hydrogen peroxide, catalase can catalyze the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. The residual hydrogen peroxide can be oxidized by peroxidase, resulting in the production of a red-colored product (N-(4-antipyryl)-3-chloro-5-sulfonate-p-benzoquinonemonoimine) with a maximum absorbance at 520 nm. By preparing a standard curve using hydrogen peroxide standard solution, the catalytic activity of catalase in the sample can be calculated based on the amount of hydrogen peroxide converted to water and oxygen per unit time and unit volume, thereby determining the enzyme activity of catalase in the sample.
Catalase is widely distributed in various tissues. In the liver, kidneys, and red blood cells, catalase levels are particularly high, as these are major sites for the removal of hydrogen peroxide, which can cause oxidative damage.
The activity of catalase can also be measured by UV spectrophotometry at A240. However, proteins or other components have strong absorbance near A240, leading to significant interference in the measurement. Therefore, UV-based determination of catalase activity is more suitable for purified catalase. This assay kit measures the red-colored product generated by the oxidation of the colorimetric substrate by hydrogen peroxide catalyzed by peroxidase, using the measurement of A520. It has minimal interference factors, high sensitivity, and can detect catalase as low as 1 U/ml.
The assay kit can be used to measure the activity of catalase in biological samples such as whole blood, red blood cell lysates, serum, tissue homogenates, and cell lysates. One kit allows for 100 tests.
- The tested catalase samples, whether pure catalase or cell/tissue lysates, can typically be stored at 4°C for one week. For long-term storage, -70°C is recommended. However, it should be noted that the catalase activity will significantly decrease after storage at -20°C.
- After adding the catalase reaction stop solution during the detection process, the colorimetric reaction should be initiated within 15 minutes.
- Hydrogen peroxide is not very stable, and precise measurement of hydrogen peroxide concentration should be performed using the methods specified in this instruction manual.
- If precise quantification of catalase activity in the sample is required, a protein concentration assay kit should be used. For example, you can use BCA Protein Assay Kit to determine the protein concentration in the samples.
- This product is intended for scientific research purposes by professionals only and is not to be used for clinical diagnosis or treatment. It is not intended for use in food or drugs and should not be stored in a regular residential setting.
- For your safety and health, please wear laboratory attire and disposable gloves when handling.
Store at -20°C, effective for one year. Catalase Assay Buffer and Catalase Reaction Stop Solution can also be stored at 4°C.
Only for research and not intended for treatment of humans or animals
SBS Genetech is a long-term sponsor of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory